GARDENING MADE EASIER FOR YOU:
Hints, Tips, Useful Facts & Terms Explained
We offer you an easier approach to gardening and help you to prioritise and plan how you manage the many jobs that need to be carried out.
We all lead busy lives and however much you may like gardening, not many people want to spend all their time gardening. Far more preferable is to be relaxing and enjoying the fruits of what we’ve been able to achieve in our gardens.
1. The Green House
This is the process of scattering seed over the ground for g... greenhouse tomatoes, tomatoes contain antioxidants that help to combat the formation of free radicals that can cause cancer. A naturally occurring chemical, which is responsible for giv... has been linked with prostate cancer prevention in quite a few studies
2. Lawn Care
It’s best to avoid walking on your lawn especially now we’re having regular frosts and a period of snow at present. This will help to preserve what you’ve got and avoid any potential damage
Now is the time to be planting A plant or tree, where the roots are exposed and not surroun... roses
4. The selective cutting down/paring of plants or in the case o...
The selective cutting down/paring of plants or in the case o... roses while they are still This is in effect when a plant is sleeping and there is litt...
5. Tree Care
The selective cutting down/paring of plants or in the case o... pear and apple trees, helps the trees to bear better quality fruit, the tree is also more likely to stay free of disease.
6. Frost Protection
It’s vitally important to protect recently planted trees and hedging from the elements that include frost, snow and high winds. It’s worth it as this will help to protect the roots from potential damage that could be significant. Frost protection measures include taking pots & plants into your greenhouse or conservatory. See previous post with other frost protection suggestions
7. General Gardening Tasks
Digging over the soil helps to achieve the following:
- Improves soil structure by bringing more oxygen into the soil
- Tends to improve drainage
It’s not one of the most popular gardening tasks but it is essential for all the reasons mentioned above.
8. This is any type of material that can be spread over soil to...
Put a deep layer of This is any type of material that can be spread over soil to... around fruit trees and along borders, approximately 2 inches. This will benefit your garden in the following ways:
- Helps to keep moisture in your soil
- Keep it warmer underneath
- Helps to keep weeds under control
9. Tidying Up
Sweep around the garden once you’ve done all the jobs that you need to do to keep it looking clean and tidy.
Do not underestimate the importance of the more simple gardening tasks like this one that you need to carry out quite frequently.
The easy way to impress your neighbours and friends and show that your garden is well cared for.
10. Repair and Replace Fencing
- Helps to maintain the security of your property and improves the overall look of your garden.
- If there are no obvious boundaries between you and your neighbour’s property then planting trees, hedging or erecting fencing will re-establish those boundaries.
- This can often totally transform your garden into a place that is now, properly enclosed and all yours with that great added privacy
Mind Blowing Gardening Facts!
- Prince Charles – Each year he is given one daffodil as rent for land on the Isles of Scilly
- Daffodils – A natural supplement that is used for treating mild to moder... is found in the leaves and bulbs of all species of daffodils and can be used to help fight early stage Alzheimer’s disease. A Statutory Adviser to the UK Government, JNCC also informs us that 42% of the UK population are affected by dementia either through friends or family.
Gardening Terms Explained
This is a damaging fungal rose disease, characterised by dar... – This is a damaging fungal rose disease, characterised by dark spots, and the leaves falling and turning yellow
The selective cutting down/paring of plants or in the case o... – Removal cutting down of plants, branches/trees for shaping, removing deadwood, maintaining health.
Normally describes trees or shrubs that shed their leaves or... – Normally describes trees or Shrubs are woody plants that add shape & structure to yo... that shed their leaves/petals in autumn
Simple plants that make their own food by photosynthesis – Simple plants that make their own food by This is a process where plants, some bacteria and algae conv...
This is in effect when a plant is sleeping and there is litt... – This is in effect when a plant is sleeping and there is little or no growth, this usually takes place in winter
This is a process where plants, some bacteria and algae conv... – The process used by plants, some bacteria and Simple plants that make their own food by photosynthesis to convert light energy into chemical energy. They produce glucose and oxygen from CO2 (carbon dioxide) and water
- Did you find our hints and tips and gardening facts useful?
- Do you have any stories or experiences you want to share in connection with what we’ve mentioned above?
Adviser to the UK Government, JNCC